Spring Break Home Safety
For many, the winter months are a welcome time to escape the short days and chilly temperatures by heading on vacation. And is there a better way to celebrate the end of winter than to take a spring break?
Whether you’re going to hang out on the Mississippi River, bask on a sunny, white-sand beach in the Caribbean or hit the slopes for some skiing or snowboarding, you have to take precautions to ensure your home stays safe while you’re away. After all, what could be worse than returning from a relaxing break or an active adventure to find a disaster has occurred, such as a break-in, or water or fire damage?
To ensure your vacation doesn’t end in tragedy, follow these tips before you go.
- Check for any leaks and fix them. For example, ensure your refrigerator ice maker is not leaking!
- Set your heater at approximately 50 degrees to ensure pipes and appliances don’t freeze. But if you have pets and they are going to be in the house, set it closer to 72 degrees.
- If you have pets, make arrangements for their comfort and safety: either board them or have a friend come over daily to care for them.
- Turn furnace and hot water heaters down.
- Unplug all appliances, such as coffee makers, toasters and exercise equipment.
- Leave a light or two on so the house doesn’t appear deserted at night.
- Lower blinds and close curtains so that passers-by can’t view your valuables.
- Leave a key with a trusted friend or neighbor so they can enter the home in case of emergency.
- Have a friend or neighbor bring in newspapers and mail or cancel delivery for both during the time when you’ll be away.
If you have the opportunity to get away for Spring Break we wish you happy trails, and hope you come home to a safe and welcoming home!
At Cities Insurance Group we can work with you to make sure you’ve got the coverage you need, while at the same time using all possible credits and discounts to make that coverage affordable. Just give us a call at 563-359-0854 or send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org. We want to help you meet your goals, and make sure what’s important to you is protected!